Zaatar Flatbread Recipe
Also known as Mana'eesh bi Za'atar, this snack is ideal for lunch or an appetizer as part of a larger meal.
This recipe for Zaatar Flatbread serves 12 people.
Time required: 1 hour and 40 minutes
(90 minutes to prepare, then cook for 10 minutes)
Ingredients you'll need:
For the flatbread
- 7 cups of plain flour
- 2 ½ cups of water, lukewarm
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp instant dried yeast
- 1 tsp white sugar
For the topping
- ½ cup of olive oil
- 1 sprinkle of salt, to taste
- ⅛ cup of thyme
- ⅛ cup of sumac
- ⅛ cup of oregano
- ⅛ cup of toasted sesame seed
How to make Zaatar Flatbread:
- Put the lukewarm water into a large mixing bowl, sprinkle in the sugar and yeast, and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Mix in the salt and half of the flour, then continue to add small cups of the rest of the flour until the dough begins to thicken up. Knead the dough and sprinkle more flour on the mixture until it is smooth.
- Lightly oil the inside of a large bowl, and put the mixture into it, and let it rest in a warm location for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 250°C, and line a large baking tray with some non-stick baking paper. Divide the dough into 12 pieces and pat each one into a small round flatbread on the baking tray. Let the flatbreads rest for 20 minutes whilst the oven heats up.
- For the topping, grind the thyme and oregano, add the sumac, sesame seeds, olive oil, and salt, and mix well. Any excess za'atar herb blend will store well in an air-tight container if you keep it away from heat and light.
- Cover each flatbread portion with the topping, then bake them for 10 minutes. Serve hot!
See other iftar recipes.