Vegetable Lasagna Recipe
This recipe for Vegetable Lasagna serves 6 people.
Time required: 55 minutes
(20 minutes to prepare, then cook for 35 minutes)
Ingredients you'll need:
- 1 tbsp italian herbs, to taste
- 1 tsp nutmeg, to taste
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, grated
- 50 g black olives, sliced
- 425 g tinned tomatoes
- 250 g lasagne sheets - no cook
- 1 bunch of baby spinach leaves
- 2 pinches of salt and pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup of parmesan cheese
- 500 ml vegetable stock
- 1 stalk of celery
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp crushed garlic
- 1 cup of mozzarella cheese, grated
How to make Vegetable Lasagna:
- In a large saucepan place in olive oil, crushed garlic, and stir on medium heat until onion is semi transparent.
- Add tinned tomatoes, vegetable stock, grated carrot, chopped up celery, black olives, and spinach and cook for about 10 minutes on medium heat, after 10 minutes stir in nutmeg and herbs.
- Stir and reduce heat to a simmer. Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees celcius
- Chop the eggplants and the zucchini into 2cm pieces and grill with a little bit of olive oil and herbs.
- Blanch the lasagna sheets by placing them in boiling water for 2 minutes and then taking the pan off the heat add cold water to pan, then place on paper towel or tea towel until ready for use.
- In a baking dish place a large spoonful of sauce then top it with lasagna sheets. Then put another spoonful of sauce with the chopped up eggplant and zucchini, then top with more lasagne sheets, and repeat this process until all the sauce, eggplants and zucchinis have been used.
- Top with a sprinkle of mozzarella and parmesan cheese and herbs.
- Cover the baking dish with foil, dull side up. The dish should be well sealed, but the foil should not reach the top of the lasagna.
- Bake for 15 minutes then remove foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and leave for 5 minutes before serving.
(Sourced from Suzanne Lawrence)