Veal Parmigiana Recipe
This recipe for Veal Parmigiana serves 4 people.
Time required: 1 hour and 40 minutes
(75 minutes to prepare, then cook for 25 minutes)
Ingredients you'll need:
- 1 cup of bread crumbs, dry
- 4 slices of veal, thin
- ⅔ cup of chunky tomato pasta sauce, bottled
- ¼ cup of oil
- ½ cup of plain flour
- ½ cup of parmesan cheese
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 30 g butter
- ½ cup of mozzarella cheese
How to make Veal Parmigiana:
- Pat veal dry with paper towels. Place flour on a plate, egg in a shallow bowl, and bread crumbs on another plate. Coat veal with flour, dip in egg and then coat with breadcrumbs. Refrigerate for approximately 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to moderate 180°C. Brush a medium-sized ovenproof dish with oil. Heat butter and extra oil in a large frying pan. Add veal to pan and cook for 2-3 minutes each side or until golden. Drain on paper towels.
- Place in a single layer in prepared dish, spoon tomato pasta sauce over and sprinkle with combined cheeses. Bake uncovered for 20-25 minutes or until golden. Serve immediately, with salad, if desired.
Storage time - Recipe may be completed, up to baking stage, several hours ahead, covered, and refrigerated. Cook just before serving. Dish may also be frozen, without cheeses, for up to 1 month. Sprinkle cheeses on top just before cooking. Variations - Instead of mozzarella, use cheddar cheese. Add 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh parsley or basil to sauce.
See other main course recipes.