Veal Parmesan Recipe
Veal Parmesan served
This recipe for Veal Parmesan serves 4 people.
Time required: 1 hour and 15 minutes
(30 minutes to prepare, then cook for 45 minutes)
Ingredients you'll need:
For the tomato sauce
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 440 g tinned tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup of chicken stock
- 3 pinches of salt and pepper
- 1 stalk of celery, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp basil leaves
- 1 green capsicum, finely chopped
For the veal
- 1 cup of bread crumbs, dry
- 1 cup of seasoned flour
- 4 veal steaks
- 2 tbsp oil
- 60 g parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 egg
- 150 g mozzarella cheese, grated
How to make Veal Parmesan:
- In a medium sized saucepan place 2 tablespoons of oil, onion, celery and capsicum, and cook on medium heat until vegetables are soft.
- Add the rest of the tomato sauce ingredients, and bring the sauce to a boil, then turn down heat and simmer for 30 minutes with a lid on the saucepan. After 30 minutes remove the lid and simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Place a piece of veal between 2 sheets of plastic wrap and pound lightly with a mallet or rolling pin until the veal is 6mm thick.
- Prepare 3 plates for crumbing the veal, one plate with flour, salt and pepper, another with a beaten egg and the third with bread crumbs.
- Place the veal into the flour and coat well, then dip in the egg and coat well with bread crumbs. Continue this until all pieces of veal have been crumbed.
- Place veal in a lightly oiled fry pan to cook each side for 4 minutes.
- Place the veal in an oven dish and cover the veal with the mozzarella cheese, then tomato sauce, then parmesan cheese. Then place the dish into the oven at 180°C for 25 to 30 minutes until the cheese is golden brown.
See other main course recipes.