Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
A delicious mixture of fresh strawberries and cream, in between and on top of a fluffy cake base to satisfy any sweet tooth!
This recipe for Strawberry Shortcake serves 6 people.
Time required: 35 minutes
(15 minutes to prepare, then cook for 20 minutes)
Ingredients you'll need:
- 2 cups of Strawberries
- 4 tsp baking powder
- ½ cup of white sugar
- 2 tbsp white sugar
- 3 cups of whipping cream
- 1 tsp icing sugar, to dust on top
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅔ cup of milk
- 2 ¼ cups of plain flour
- 1 whole egg, lightly beaten
- ⅓ cup of Shortening
- ½ cup of strawberry jam
How to make Strawberry Shortcake:
- Slice the strawberries and toss them with half a cup of white sugar.
- Preheat oven to 220°C, then grease and flour one 8 inch round cake pan.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder, 2 tablespoons white sugar and the salt. With a pastry blender cut in the shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in the center and add the beaten egg and milk. Stir until just combined.
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan, then bake at 220°C for 20 minutes until golden brown. Let it cool partially in pan on a wire rack.
- Slice the partially cooled cake in half, making two layers. Spread the strawberry jam on the first layer, then place half of the strawberries on the jam with some whipped cream.
- Top with the other layer with the remaining strawberries, and cover with the rest of the whipped cream. Dust with icing sugar.