Stoved Chicken Recipe
Stovies was originally potatoes slowly cooked on the stove with onions and dripping/butter until falling to pieces. This receipe includes a succulent layer of bacon and chicken in the middle.
This recipe for Stoved Chicken serves 4 people.
Time required: 2 hours
(20 minutes to prepare, then cook for 100 minutes)
Ingredients you'll need:
- 25 g butter
- 15 ml vegetable oil
- 1 kg potato, cut into 5mm slices
- 15 ml thyme, chopped
- 1 pinch of salt and ground black pepper
- 600 ml chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 brown onions, thinly sliced
- 600 g chicken breast, small pieces
- 2 large bacon, slices or 200g diced
How to make Stoved Chicken:
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Arrange a thick layer of half the potato slices in the bottom of a large baking dish, then cover with half the onions. Sprinkle with half of the thyme, and season.
- Heat the butter and oil in a large heavy-based frying pan, add the bacon and chicken and brown on all sides. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the chicken and bacon to the baking dish. Reserve the fat in the pan.
- Sprinkle the remaining thyme over the chicken, season with salt and pepper, then cover with the remaining onions, followed by a neat layer of overlapping potato slices. Season well.
- Pour the stock over the potatoes. Tuck in the bay leaf and brush the potatoes with the reserved fat. Cover and bake for 1-1½ hours until the chicken is tender.
- Preheat the grill. Uncover the baking dish and grill until the potato is brown and crisp. Remove the bay leaf and serve hot.
See other main course recipes.