Spicy Pumpkin Soup Recipe
Simply served with crusty bread rolls, this soup is ideal for a cold winter snack or as a nutritious start to any dinner.
This recipe for Spicy Pumpkin Soup serves 8 people.
Time required: 1 hour
(20 minutes to prepare, then cook for 40 minutes)
Ingredients you'll need:
- 1 chilli, (optional)
- 1 tsp curry powder, or curry paste
- 1 tsp ginger, grated
- 2 parsnips, chopped
- ½ cup of yoghurt
- 1 carrot, chopped (optional)
- 1 kg butternut pumpkin
- 2 medium potatoes, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 L water
- 2 onions, diced
How to make Spicy Pumpkin Soup:
- Peel pumpkin using a very sharp knife. Chop the pumpkin flesh roughly.
- Place pumpkin, parsnip, potato, onion, carrot, garlic, ginger, curry powder, chilli and water in a large saucepan.
- Cover; bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer for about 40 minutes, or until all vegetables are tender and about to fall apart.
- Puree in batches using a handheld blender or food processor. Taste and, if required, add freshly ground black pepper or extra chilli
- Serve pumpkin in bowls with a swirl of yoghurt (or sour cream) on top or, stir yoghurt through soup; serve.
MICROWAVE - Mix all ingredients in a large microwave-safe bowl. Cover with a lid or plastic wrap. Cook on High for 20 to 25 minutes. Stand for 5 minutes before pureeing.
See other soup recipes.