Smoked Salmon and Herb Roulade Recipe
A little smoked salmon goes a long way in the filling for this delicately flavoured roulade. Make the roulade in advance to give it time to cool. But don't put it in the refrigerator or it will lose its light texture.
This recipe for Smoked Salmon and Herb Roulade serves 6 people.
Time required: 1 hour
(45 minutes to prepare, then cook for 15 minutes)
Ingredients you'll need:
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 large eggs, separated
- ¾ cup of milk, warm
- ⅔ cup of parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- ¼ cup of plain flour, (all purpose flour)
- 2 tbsp parsley, fresh and chopped
- 2 tbsp dill, fresh and chopped
- ⅔ cup of full fat creme fraiche
- 115 g smoked salmon, chopped
- 1 pinch of salt and ground black pepper
- 1 lettuce, to garnish
How to make Smoked Salmon and Herb Roulade:
- Melt the butter in a heavy pan, blend in the flour and cook over a low heat to a thick paste. Then gradually stir in the milk, whisking as it thickens and cook for 1-2 mintues to make a thick sauce. Stir in the egg yolks, two-thirds of the Parmesan Cheese, the herbs and salt and ground black pepper to taste.
- Prepare a 33cm x 28cm Swiss roll tin. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celcius. Whisk the egg whites, fold into the sauce and pour into the tin. Bake for 12-15 minutes. Leave, covered with greaseproof paper (waxed paper), for 10-15 minutes, then tip out on to greaseproof paper sprinkled with grated Parmesan Cheese. Allow to cool.
- Mix together the creme fraiche, chopped smoked salmon, chopped dill and seasoning.
- Spread over the roulade and roll up, then leave to firm up in a cold place. Sprinkle with the rest of the Paresan and garnish with lettuce.
Roulades are ideal for entertaining because they can be made up in advance. You can use different types of cheeses and you could use tuna or prawns.