Roast Pheasant with Red Wine and Herbs Recipe
Roast Pheasant is a delicious treat, and makes a splendid dish for dinner parties and entertaining.
This recipe for Roast Pheasant with Red Wine and Herbs serves 4 people.
Time required: 1 hour and 35 minutes
(35 minutes to prepare, then cook for 60 minutes)
Ingredients you'll need:
- 125 ml red wine
- 2 pheasants, young and oven ready
- 1 tbsp thyme, fresh and chopped
- 1 tbsp parsley, fresh and chopped
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 pinches of salt and pepper, for taste
- 100 g butter, slightly softened
How to make Roast Pheasant with Red Wine and Herbs:
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees celcius. Place the butter in a small bowl and mix in the chopped herbs. Lift the skins off the pheasants, taking care not to tear them,and push the herb butter under the skins. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Pour the oil into a roasting tin, add the pheasants and cook in the preheated oven for 45 minutes, basting occasionally. Remove from the oven, pour over the red wine, then return to the oven and cook for a further 15 minutes, or until cooked through. Check that each bird is cooked by inserting a knife between the legs and body. If the juices run clear, they are cooked.
- Remove the pheasants from the oven, cover with foil and leave to stand for 15 minutes. Divide between individual serving plates, and serve with roast parsnip and sauteed potatoes.
Serve with Roast Parsnips and Sauteed Potatoes
See other main course recipes.