Quick Mix Chocolate Cake Recipe
This recipe for Quick Mix Chocolate Cake serves 8 people.
Time required: 1 hour and 10 minutes
(10 minutes to prepare, then cook for 60 minutes)
Ingredients you'll need:
- ¼ tsp bicarb soda baking soda
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- ¾ cup of milk
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup of cocoa powder
- 125 g butter, cubed
- 1 ⅓ cups of brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 cup of self raising flour
How to make Quick Mix Chocolate Cake:
- Pre-heat oven to 160 degrees celcius. Brush a deep, square, 19cm cake pan with the melted butter to lightly grease. Non-stick cake pans are not suitable for these cakes as they retain too much heat, burning the base and sides of the cake. Line the base and sides of the pan with non-stick baking paper.
- Place the sugar, milk and butter in a large saucepan. Use a find sieve to sift the cocoa powder and bicarbonate of soda over the top. A fine sieve will break up any lumps, keeping the mixture smooth and ensuring the cake has an even texture.
- Place the pan over medium-low heat and use a whick to stir until the mixture is smooth. Do not let the mixture boil as it will overheat and some of the liquid may evaporate (see microwave tip). Remove fromthe heat and set aside for 5 minutes to cool slightly. If the mixture is too hot, the eggs will set when added.
- Use a fine sieve to sift half the self-raising and plain flours into the pan. Use the whisk to stir until the mixture is smooth and free of lumps. A whisk will ensure the ingredients are well incorporated and there are no large lumps of flour. Sift in the remaining self-raising and plain flours, and stir with the whisk until the mixture is smooth. Add the eggs and continue to stir until well combined.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and gently tap the pan on a bench to release any large air bubbles. Bake in pre-heated oven for 45-55 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean. Remove the cake from the oven and set aside for 2 minutes before turning onto a wire rack. Turn the cake righ-way up and then set aside to cool completely.
Microwave tip: place the sugar, milk and butter in a large, heatproof microwave bowl. Use a fine sieve to sift the cocoa poder and bicarbonate of soda over the top. Heat, uncovered, on medium/500 watts/50%, using a whisk to stir every minute, for 2-3 minutes or until smooth.