Pumpkin Chowder with Rice and Thyme Recipe
This recipe for Pumpkin Chowder with Rice and Thyme serves 6 people.
Time required: 1 hour
(20 minutes to prepare, then cook for 40 minutes)
Ingredients you'll need:
- 1 bay leaf, fresh
- 1 cinnamon stick, broken
- 600 ml chicken stock
- 1 large spanish onion, sliced
- 1 bunch of thyme, small bunch
- 1 ½ kg pumpkin, peeled and deseeded - about 1 kilo
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 100 g long grain rice
- 300 ml full cream milk
- 1 tsp chilli, dried crushed chillies
How to make Pumpkin Chowder with Rice and Thyme:
- Cube to pumpkin and put in a pan with the onion, stock,chillies,salt, cinnamon, thyme and bay leaf. Bring to the boil, cover, and cook for 20 minutes or until done.
- Meanwhile put the rice in another pan with boiling water to cover by 2.5cm. Bring to the boil, cover, reduce the heat, and simmer for 15 minutes until most of the water has been absorbed.
- When the vegetables are soft and pulpy, remove and discard the bay leaf and thyme. Reserve the cinnamon. Using a blender, puree the soup in batches to a creamy consistency. (A food processor will give a less silky texture.)
- Add the drained rice and milk, then taste and adjust the seasonings. Bring to the boil, simmer for 5 minutes, and serve with thyme sprinkled over the top, and a few reserved shards of the cinnamon, if preferred.
To serve place thyme on the top of the chowder. This chowder may be served chilled, with hot garlic or herb bread.
See other soup recipes.