Prawn Bisque Recipe
This recipe for Prawn Bisque serves 6 people.
Time required: 1 hour and 10 minutes
(20 minutes to prepare, then cook for 50 minutes)
Ingredients you'll need:
- 10 cups of water, (2½ litres)
- 1 stalk of celery, chopped
- ½ large vegetable stock, cube, crumbled
- ½ cup of plain flour
- 6 parsley, stems
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp oil
- 500 g prawns, uncooked
- ⅓ cup of cream
- ½ tsp dried thyme leaves
- 10 black peppercorns, crushed
- ½ cup of dry white wine
How to make Prawn Bisque:
- Shell prawns, reserve shells. Heat oil in large saucepan, add reserved shells, onion, celery and carrot, stir constantly over high heat for about 5 minutes or until shells and vegetables are lightly browned. Add parsley, bay leaves, thyme, peppercorns, tomato paste and flour, stir constantly over heat until well combined.
- Gradually stir in wine, water and stock cube, stir constantly over high heat until mixture boils and thickens slightly. Reduce heat, simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove any scum that appears of top of soup during cooking. Strain soup through fine sieve, add cream, reheat soup gently without boiling.
- Poach prawns in frying pan of simmering water for a few minutes or until cooked; drain, chop roughly. Serve with soup.
Stock for soup can be made up to 4 days ahead; keep, covered, in refrigerator or freeze, without cream, for 3 months. This recipe is not suitable to microwave.
See other soup recipes.