Potato Gnocchi with Tomato Sauce Recipe
Potato Gnocchi with Tomato Sauce
This recipe for Potato Gnocchi with Tomato Sauce serves 4 people.
Time required: 35 minutes
(15 minutes to prepare, then cook for 20 minutes)
Ingredients you'll need:
- ½ tsp white pepper
- 1 tbsp polyunsaturated oil
- ½ cup of onion, chopped
- ½ tsp basil, chopped and fresh
- 1 cup of chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup of cheese, grated
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- ½ cup of plain flour, wholemeal
- 500 g potatoes
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- ½ cup of water
- 2 tabasco sauce, drops
- ¼ tsp oregano
How to make Potato Gnocchi with Tomato Sauce:
- Peel, chop and boil potatoes until soft. Mash with oil and pepper until smooth. Add flour and egg and mix well.
- Divide mixture into small balls and roll into strips 2.5cm thick. Cut 1cm lengths from strips and press each piece between finger and thumb.
- Drop each of gnocchi into a shallow pan of boiling water, reduce heat and poach for 5 minutes (gnocchi will float when cooked). Remove and drain on absorbemt paper.
- Place gnocchi in an ovenproof dish and cover with grated cheese and cook in a hot oven (200°C) for 10 to 15 minutes until golden brown.
- To prepare Tomato Sauce; Heat oil in pan and cook onion and garlic until soft. Add tomatoes and remaining ingredients, except basil, and simmer until tender and sauce thickens.
- Add basil and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Serve gnocchi hot with tomato sauce.