Meat and Potato Pie Recipe
No pastry here, a simple pie that is pure comfort food.
This recipe for Meat and Potato Pie serves 2 people.
Time required: 1 hour and 50 minutes
(10 minutes to prepare, then cook for 100 minutes)
Ingredients you'll need:
For the meat
- 500 g diced beef
- 1 tbsp gravy powder
For the potato
- ¼ cup of cheese
- 1 tsp parsley, chopped
- 2 medium potatoes, diced
- 2 pinches of salt and pepper
- ¼ cup of milk
- 1 tsp butter
How to make Meat and Potato Pie:
- Place the diced beef into a saucepan with enough water to cover the meat, and cook on a low heat for 1 hour.
- After the meat has been cooking for 45 minutes, in a separate saucepan place potatoes in cold water and bring to the boil, then put on medium high heat and cook for 30 minutes or until potatoes are soft.
- When the potatoes are soft, add the gravy powder to the meat, and stir until the gravy produces a smooth sauce, keep the meat on low heat.
- Drain the water from the potatoes and add milk, butter, salt and pepper, and mash until potatoes are fluffy.
- Place the meat on the bottom of an oven proof dish, add the potato on top, then add cheese and parsely to the very top of the pie.
- Place in oven at 190 degrees celcius, for 20 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
You will need to vary how much milk you add in when making the mash potato, don't add too much as it makes the potato too soggy.
See other main course recipes.