Macaroni with Cheese Sauce Recipe
This recipe for Macaroni with Cheese Sauce serves 4 people.
Time required: 45 minutes
(15 minutes to prepare, then cook for 30 minutes)
Ingredients you'll need:
- 60 g butter
- 2 ½ cups of milk
- ¼ cup of plain flour
- 1 ½ cups of cheddar cheese, grated
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 2 bacon, rashers, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 200 g macaroni
How to make Macaroni with Cheese Sauce:
- Preheat oven to moderate 180°C. Add macaroni to a large pan of rapidly boiling water and cook until tender, drain.
- Heat butter in a large pan; add onion and bacon. Stir over medium heat for 4 minutes or until tender. Add flour; stir over low heat for 1 minute. Add milk gradually; stir until mixture is smooth. Stir constantly over medium heat for 4 minutes or until mixture boils and thickens. Simmer over low heat for another minute. Remove pan from heat. Stir in nutmeg.
- Add pasta and 1 cup of the cheese to pan. Stir until combined; spoon into a greased 1.5 litre ovenproof dish. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top and bake for 20 minutes.
Milk can be flavoured before use if you wish. Place in a small pan with a slice of onion, 6 peppercorns and a bay leaf. Bring to the boil. Remove from heat, cover and leave for 15 minutes; strain. Use as above.
See other pasta recipes.