Italian Meatballs Recipe
This recipe for Italian Meatballs serves 6 people.
Time required: 1 hour and 30 minutes
(20 minutes to prepare, then cook for 70 minutes)
Ingredients you'll need:
- 500 g mince beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- ¼ cup of red wine
- 800 g tinned tomatoes, peeled, chopped
- ¼ cup of parsley, chopped
- ¼ cup of parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup of olive oil
- 1 egg
- 2 cloves of crushed garlic
- ¼ cup of basil leaves, fresh
- ½ cup of bread crumbs
How to make Italian Meatballs:
- In a bowl combine meat, breadcrumbs, parsley, cheese, egg, salt and pepper to taste. Mix all ingredients well and the roll mixture into small balls.
- In a large heavy-based pan, heat half the oil, add the meatballs and brown. When meatballs have browned remove from pan and set aside.
- Add remaining oil to the pan and fry the onion, garlic and basil until onion is soft. Add red wine and allow to reduce by half.
- Return meatballs to the pan and add tinned tomatoes. Bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer and cook 70 minutes, or until sauce is slightly thickened.
You can substitute wine with ¼ cup beef stock. Try adding italian herbs for extra taste when adding the tinned tomatoes. Serve with salad and a sprinkle of parsley.