Hungarian Goulash Recipe
This recipe for Hungarian Goulash serves 4 people.
Time required: 2 hours and 20 minutes
(20 minutes to prepare, then cook for 120 minutes)
Ingredients you'll need:
- 20 g butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 425 g diced tomatoes, Rosa - tinned
- 2 bay leaves, dried
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 medium brown onions, halved and sliced
- ½ cup of beef stock
- 2 tbsp fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 700 g beef skirt steaks, cut into 5cm pieces
- 2 tbsp sweet paprika
- 2 large red capsicums, sliced
How to make Hungarian Goulash:
- Place butter and oil in a large,heavy based saucepan. Heat over medium-high heat until butter has melted. Add half the beef. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 4 to 5 minutes or until browned. using a slotted spoon, transfer beef to a heatproof bowl. Repeat with remaining beef.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add onion to pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until tender. Return beef and any juices to pan. Add garlic and paprika. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Add capsicum, tomato paste, tomato, stock, and bay leaves. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Cook, covered, stirring occasionally, for 2 hours or until beef is tender. Remove and discard bay leaves. Sprinkle with parsley. Divide rise between bowls. Top with goulash and a dollop of sour cream.
Serve with steamed rice and sour cream.
(Sourced from Super Food Ideas July 2008)
See other main course recipes.