Ham and Cheese Scrolls Recipe
Simple to make and delicious to eat.
This recipe for Ham and Cheese Scrolls serves 5 people.
Time required: 25 minutes
(10 minutes to prepare, then cook for 15 minutes)
Ingredients you'll need:
- 30 g butter, chopped
- ½ red capsicum, seeded and chopped
- ½ cup of water
- ½ cup of milk
- ½ cup of ham, chopped
- 2 cups of self raising flour
- ¼ cup of basil, chopped
- 1 cup of tasty cheese, grated
- ¼ cup of gherkin, optional
How to make Ham and Cheese Scrolls:
- Preheat oven to very hot, 220°C. Lightly grease a scone tray.
- Sift flour into a large bowl. Add butter. Using fingertips, rub in lightly. Stir in basil.
- Make a well in the centre of flour mixture. Pour in combined milk and water all at once, reserving 1 tablespoon. Using a palette knife, mix quickly to a soft, sticky dough. Do not over-mix.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Knead lightly. Press or roll out to form a rectangle about 1 cm thick.
- In a small bowl, combine cheese, ham, capsicum and gherkin (if using gherkin). Sprinkle over dough, pressing slightly.
- Roll up into a log shape. Cut into 2 cm thick slices and arrange slightly overlapping, cut side up, on prepared tray. Brush with reserved milk mixture. Bake for 12-15 minutes ntil scrolls sound hollow when tapped. Transfer to a wire rack. Allow scrolls to cool.
For a lighter result, we used milk and water to make the base, but you can use all milk or all water. Milk is best for sweet scones or scrolls.