French Onion Soup Recipe
French Onion Soup
This recipe for French Onion Soup serves 6 people.
Time required: 40 minutes
(5 minutes to prepare, then cook for 35 minutes)
Ingredients you'll need:
- 50 g butter, or margarine
- 1 pinch of salt and pepper
- 100 g cheddar cheese, grated
- 150 ml dry red wine
- 1 L beef stock
- 450 g onions
- 6 slices of french bread, buttered
How to make French Onion Soup:
- Chop the onions and fry in the butter or margarine until soft and golden brown.
- Pour in the stock, bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer gently for 25 minutes.
- Add the wine and seasoning, stir well and heat the soup for a further few minutes.
- Put a slice of French bread into each heatproof soup bowl and pour over the soup. When the bread rises to the surface sprinkle the top with the Cheddar, put under a hot grill until golden. Serve immediately.
(Sourced from Hamlyn All Colour Cookbook)
See other soup recipes.