Fish Pie Recipe
This recipe for Fish Pie serves 4 people.
Time required: 55 minutes
(20 minutes to prepare, then cook for 35 minutes)
Ingredients you'll need:
- 1 tbsp butter
- 4 eggs, hard-boiled, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 pinches of salt and pepper
- 450 g potatoes, mashed with a little milk, butter and seasoning added
- 1 canned sweetcorn kernels, 198g
- 175 g cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 tbsp parsley, chopped
- 450 g cod, or coley, cubed
- 1 white sauce, quantity (see White Sauce recipe)
- 1 pinch of mustard powder
How to make Fish Pie:
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Place the fish on a buttered flameproof plate and season with salt, pepper and lemon juice. Cover the plate with foil or another plate and steam over a pan of boiling water for 10 minutes or until the fish flakes easily. Strain any juices and reserve for the white sauce.
- Bring the white sauce to the boil, add the reserved fish stock and the sweetcorn, reduce the heat and simmer for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove the pan from the heat, blend in the cheese, parsley, salt, pepper and mustard.
- Finally add the eggs and the flaked fish. Pour into an ovenproof dish. Spread or pipe the prepared potato over the fish and bake in a moderately hot oven for 20 minutes or until the top is golden.
Microwave Tip - Instead of steaming the fish over a saucepan of water, put it in a shallow microwave-proof dish with 2-3 tablespoons of hot water. Cover with cling film and cook on full power for about 5 minutes, or until the fish is only just cooked. You can also check your microwave for cooking guide.
See other main course recipes.