Country Chicken Pie Recipe
Country Chicken Pie
This recipe for Country Chicken Pie serves 6 people.
Time required: 1 hour
(30 minutes to prepare, then cook for 30 minutes)
Ingredients you'll need:
- 25 g butter
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 ½ cups of milk
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp parsley, chopped
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 chicken thigh fillets, boneless
- 250 g button mushrooms
- 2 mushroom soup mix, packets (35g ea)
- 1 tbsp sage, or 1 teaspoon of dried sage
- 1 ground black pepper, freshly
- 400 g pastry, flaky
How to make Country Chicken Pie:
- Remove skin from chicken and cut flesh into cubes. Trim and wash mushrooms. Melt butter in a saucepan. Saute chicken, onion, garlic and mushrooms until onion is clear and chicken cooked through.
- Mix soup mix and milk together. Pour into saucepan and cook until mixture comes to the boil. Leve until cold then mix in parsley, sage, pepper and chicken.
- Cut one-third from the pastry. Roll the larger piece to fit a 5cm deep pie dish. Fill with the chicken and mushroom mixture. Roll the smaller piece of pastry to form a lid for the pie. Brush the edges of the pastry with water and top with the lid, pressing edges together. Decorate edge if wished. Beat egg yolk and water together and brush over pastry. Make two small steam holes in the centre of the pie.
- Bake at 200°C for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden and cooked.
Make sure your filling is cold before making this pie to prevent the pastry going soggy.
(Sourced from Australian Quick n Easy Chicken)
See other main course recipes.