Classic Lemon Tart Recipe
This is one dish where the colour of the yolks makes a real difference to the colour of the Tart. The yellower the better. This tart can be served warmor chilled and decorated with extra lemon rind. It is verylemony, so serve with cream or vanilla ice-cream.
This recipe for Classic Lemon Tart serves 8 people.
Time required: 1 hour and 35 minutes
(40 minutes to prepare, then cook for 55 minutes)
Ingredients you'll need:
- 4 eggs, free-range for more yellow yolks
- 175 g caster sugar
- 150 g plain flour, sifted
- 50 g hazelnuts, toasted and finely ground
- 115 g unsalted butter, softened
- 2 Lemons, finely grated rind and at least 175ml of lemon juice
- 150 ml double cream, (heavy cream)
How to make Classic Lemon Tart:
- Mix together the flour,nuts and 25gm (2 tablespoons) sugar, then gently work in the butter and, if necessary, 15-30ml (1-2 tablespoons) cold water to make a soft dough. Chill for 10 minutes. Roll out the dough and use to line a 20.5cm loose-based flan tin (tart pan). If the pastry is difficult to roll out, push it into the plan tin. Chill for 20 minutes. Preheat oven to 200 degrees celcius.
- Line the pastry case (shell) with greaseproof paper, then fill with baking beans and bake for 15 minutes. Remove the paper and beans, and cook for a further 5-10 minutes until crisp.
- Beat the eggs, lemon rind and juice, the remaining sugar and cream until well blended. Pour into the pastry case. Bake for about 30 minutes, until just set.
Roll the pastry over the loose base of the flan tin, then ease it into the surround.
See other dessert recipes.