Caramelized Pears Recipe
This recipe for Caramelized Pears serves 2 people.
Time required: 40 minutes
(20 minutes to prepare, then cook for 20 minutes)
Ingredients you'll need:
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 lemon
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tbsp orange liqueur
- 1 orange
- 300 ml red vermouth
- 1 vanilla pod
- 4 pears, ripe, firm
How to make Caramelized Pears:
- Squeeze the juice of half lemon and half orange into a bowl. Peel the pears, and turn them in the citrus juices to prevent discolouring. Halve and core the pears, then dip them again. Dice and half.
- Put the diced pears into a heavy-based frying pan with the citrus juices from the bowl, the slivered zest of 1/4 orange and 1/4 lemon, the vermouth, cinnamon, vanilla pod, sugar and liqueur.
- Bring the pears and liquid to the boil and boil, uncovered, stirring frequently, until the pears are tender. With a skimmer or slotted spoon, lift the pears out of the pan, leaving the liquid in it, and put them in a bowl.
- Discard the cinnamon and vanilla pod. Boil down the liquid in the pan until thickened and syrupy. Pour and scrape the liquid into a small jug.
- Return the pears to the frying pan, along with the juice of the remaining halfs of the lemon and orange. Stir and cook quickly (but gently so that the pears do not break up) until the pears are richly glazed. Pour the red vermouth liquid into the pan and stir together.
(Sourced from The Low Fat Cookbook - Sue Kreitzman)