Caesar Salad Recipe
Created in the 1920's by a Tijuanan chef called Caesar Cardini
This recipe for Caesar Salad serves 4 people.
Time required: 10 minutes
(2 minutes to prepare, then cook for 8 minutes)
Ingredients you'll need:
- 1 anchovy fillet
- 1 tsp worcestershire sauce
- 30 ml lemon juice
- 25 g parmesan cheese
- 4 slices of granary bread, or use white bread
- 1 cos lettuce
- 1 clove of garlic
- 3 tbsp olive oil, for the croutons
- 1 egg
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 pinch of pepper
How to make Caesar Salad:
- Preheat the oven to 220°C (425F/Gas 7). Separate, rinse and dry the lettuce leaves. Tear the outer leaves roughly and chop the heart roughly.
- Arrange the lettuce in a salad bowl. Mix together the cubes bread, olive oil and garlic in a separate bowl. Leave for 2 minutes, until the bread has soaked up the flavoured oil. Lay the bread cubes on a baking sheet and place in the oven for about 6-8 minutes (keeping an eye on them) until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, make the dressing. Break the egg in a food processor or blender and add the garlic, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce and one of the anchovy fillets.
- Blend the mixture until smooth. With the motor running, pour in the olive oil in a thin stream until the dressing has the consistency of single cream.
- Season the dressing with ground black pepper and a little salt if needed. Pour it over the salad leaves and toss well, then toss in the garlic croutons, Parmesan cheese and the remaining anchovies and serve.
You do not need to add in the anchovies. To make this salad into a main meal serve with Chicken, Tuna or Ham. Re-enter in recipe when alteration have been complete dressing add more oil - half a cup for dressing and 1 more garlic clove 1 anchovy fillet