Beef and Gnocchi hotpot Recipe
This recipe for Beef and Gnocchi hotpot serves 6 people.
Time required: 3 hours
(30 minutes to prepare, then cook for 150 minutes)
Ingredients you'll need:
- 300 g bacon pieces
- 1 tbsp lemon rind, finely grated
- 1 sour cream, to serve
- 70 g tomato paste
- 1 pinch of salt and pepper
- 800 g diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ¾ cup of water
- 1 red capsicum, deseeded, cut into 1.5cm pieces
- 2 shallots - green onions - scallions, ends trimmed, thinly sliced
- 1 kg beef chuck steaks
- 400 g mushrooms, small and halved
- 500 g potato gnocchi, pkt shelf-fresh
- ¼ cup of continental parsley, chopped
How to make Beef and Gnocchi hotpot:
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the beef and cook for 2-3 minutes each side or until browned. Transfer to a large stockpot.
- Add the bacon and mushroom to the frying pan. Cook, stirring, for 4-5 minutes or until golden. Transfer to the stockpot. Add the capsicum to the frying pan. Cook, stirring, 2-3 minutes or until the capsicum softens slightly. Transfer to a heatproof bowl.
- Place the beef mixture over medium heat. Add the tomato and water. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 1½ hours or until the beef is tender. Stir in capsicum and tomato paste. Simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until the sauce thickens slightly. Use tongs to transfer the beef to a chopping board. Finely shred. Remove and discard any excess fat. Return the beef to the stockpot. Stir until well combined. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook gnocchi following packet directions or until tender. Drain. Add the gnocchi and shallot to the hotpot, and stir to combine. Combine the parsley and lemon rind in a bowl.
- Top the hotpot with the sour cream and parsley mixture. Serve.
Slow cooker - you can use a slow cooker and cook for an extra 1 to 2 hours in step 3. Freezing Tip - To freeze at the end of step 3, cool. Transfer to an airtight container. Label, date and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in fridge. Reheat over medium heat. Continue from step 4