Australian Damper Recipe
The traditional Australian bread baked in the coals of an open fire, or in the camp oven. It is just as easily made in any household kitchen oven.
This recipe for Australian Damper serves 2 people.
Time required: 40 minutes
(5 minutes to prepare, then cook for 35 minutes)
Ingredients you'll need:
- ¼ cup of milk, or you can use water
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 cup of self raising flour
How to make Australian Damper:
- Mix all of the ingredients together in a large bowl. Try not to work it too much, as you want to have as much air in the mixture as possible
- Shape the mixture into a oval loaf shape, and dust the top with some flour
- Cover with foil and bake in your oven at 180°C for about 30 to 40 minutes or until the loaf rises and makes a hollow sound when tapped on the bottom.
Wonderful when served with jam, honey, butter, or any other spread.