Almost-dry Roasted Vegetables Recipe
This is a delicious method of cooking vegetables, but they retain all their juicy flavour. Serve as a filling main course with pasta, hot toast or grilled polenta, as your diet allows.
This recipe for Almost-dry Roasted Vegetables serves 4 people.
Time required: 1 hour
(20 minutes to prepare, then cook for 40 minutes)
Ingredients you'll need:
- 15 ml balsamic vinegar
- 45 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small fennel bulb
- 1 sweet red onion
- 1 red pepper - capsicum
- 1 yellow pepper - capsicum
- 2 zucchini - courgettes
- 1 eggplant - aubergines
- 1 salt and ground black pepper
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 10 basil leaves, fresh
- 20 asparagus, spears
- 1 sprig of basil, to garnish
How to make Almost-dry Roasted Vegetables:
- Preheat oven to 240 degrees celcius. Cut the aubergine and courgettes into 1cm slices. Halve the peppers, discard the seeds and core, then cut them into chunks.
- Finely chop the garlic and cut the onion into eight wedges.
- Remove the root from the fennel and slice into 2.5cm strips. Peel off any woody parts of the stems of the asparagus.
- Place all the vegetables in a bowl, add the basil, then stir in the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and mix together well.
- Tip the vegetables into a shallow roasting dish and roast in the oven for 30-40 minutes until all the vegetables are brown on the edges. Leave to cool, then sprinkle with the balsamic vinegar and serve garnished with the sprigs of basil.
Aubergines can soak up oil quite quickly so check on the vegetables during the cooking time.
See other vegetarian recipes.